News from Florence, N. 9 - May 2005
 
Italiano
 

 

The Deepening Spot

This part of the newsletter is for those Experts, Teachers or Academicians involved in our activity of international integration, who wish to submit us a short survey on topics of particular interest. The full version of the surveys will be published on www.fondazione-delbianco.org/italiano/index_ba.html .
Who is interested can send the survey (Italian and English version) to info@fondazione-delbianco.org the Editorial Staff will evaluate and decide about the publication.

The new portal on the History of Florence www.storiadifirenze.org (Aurora Savelli, Department of State Studies, State University of Florence )

On April, 6 in the famous Gabinetto Vieusseux took place a presentation of a new portal www.storiadifirenze.org, addressed particularly to the Cultural Institutions of Florence. This presentation concluded the research started in May 2004 with an international meeting (organized by the Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation) upon the European experience of the museums of Urban History.
The idea of creating this portal belongs to co-Directors Prof. Marcello Verga (Department of State Studies, State University of Florence) and Prof. Andrea Zorzi (Department of History and Geography, State University of Florence). This project is an answer to many questions with one main aim: to offer the citizens, the Administration of Florence, Cultural Institutions and people that are visiting Florence – an agenda of initiatives (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, etc.) related to the History of Florence, with abstracts and other material (Agenda Section). The site will permit the Researchers to have an easy access to the updated Italian and foreign bibliography on the history of Florence (Bibliography Section, years 2001-2004) with the indication of the edited volumes and articles published in different journals. The bibliographical notes all have links to the online catalogues of the Publishing Houses. There are also mentioned the Diplomas and PhD papers.
The online project that contains recent publications (Library Section), thematic dossiers (Dossier Section), unpublished works (Annals Section), will offer everyone a key to deepen their notions or find an answer to different questions upon the history of Florence.
In the Section of Florentine Historians easy schedules offer a bio-bibliographical profile of all the researchers that studied the History of Florence, from the Origins till our days. Among these personalities we can mention Nicola Ottokar or Nicolai Rubinstein that show the importance that Florence had in the International Culture.
It contains useful guide with a selection of digital sources for the History of Florence and a chronology that starts with the foundation of the city and follows the history until the XXI Century (Chronology Section).
As you can see from this brief description, the portal is addressed to wide public. For sending us suggestions or deepening information, please feel free to contact us by e-mail: sdf@sdf.org.
The operating group that created this portal would like it to be not only a landmark for researching centres and different institutions, collecting information and used for exchanging experiences, but also an active portal for promotion of initiatives for a wider and richer debate on the History of Florence.

“The history of Vhutemas”
Irina Korobina (Director of the National Centre for Contemporary Arts ) e Larisa Ivanova-Wein, (Director of the MARHI Museum)

Today in the architectural and artistic world it is not necessary to explain, what the VHUTEMAS (High Art and Technical Studios) is. This innovative Russian art school has received an overall recognition, due to the original model of the educational system having no analogues. Appeared at the beginning of the 1920s, the VHUTEMAS became one of the leading centres of the modern art.
The VHUTEMAS was founded in 1920 on the base of the First and Second Free State Art Studios (SGKHM) which on their turn have been transformed in 1918 from the Stroganovsky Art and Industrial School (SKHPU) and the School of Painting , Sculpture and Architecture (UZHVZ). In 1927 the VHUTEMAS was renamed in VHUTEIN (High Art and Technical Institute). In 1930 the educational system in the country was reorganized therefore all faculties of the VHUTEIN were transformed into special high schools: The Painting and Sculpture Faculties – into the Academy of Arts ( Leningrad ), Polygraph and Textile Institutes. The Faculty of Architecture of the VHUTEIN and the Architectural Department of the Moscow High Technical School (MVTU) were united in a new educational institution Architectural and Building Institute (ASI) which in 1933 was reorganized in Moscow Institute of Architecture (MAI), called MARHI since 1970.
The VHUTEMAS trained architects, sculptors, painters, as well as artists – masters of different qualifications in textiles, polygraphs, ceramics, wood and metal treatment. Training of students at special faculties was preceded by preparation at the Basis Department where the new course of disciplines was introduced: “Space”, “Volume”, “Colour” and “Drawing”. The Faculty of Architecture of the VHUTEMAS was the strongest and together with the Basic Department played a cementing role in the complex artistic education.

First Florentine edition of the Conference “Solar Renewable Energy News 2005 (SREN 2005)”
Emil Pincik Institute of Physics SAS, Bratislava , Slovak Republic

The main topics faced during the conference were based on the fact that the substantial part of future energy supply is expected to come from solar renewable energy sources. New building integrated solar renewable energy systems and the increasing investment on the building and glass industries in this sector demonstrate its great importance. The new building elements lead to the establishment of a new important field in architecture known as "Low Energy Architecture". Geometrical forms imposed by the necessity of the most profitable use of solar energy, can provoke important changes not only in the landscapes. There should be many considerations when it comes to changing old buildings o historical-architectural contest without destroying their original identity.
During one week (April, 2-8) 141 participants from four continents (Asia, America, Africa e Europe) could compare different approaches and methodologies that involve many scientific fields, from Physics to Chemistry, from Architecture to History. During the sessions of the conference in the Conference Halls of the Vivahotel Alexander and Vivahotel Fleming in Florence , the following topics were discussed: Physics and chemistry of Renewable Energy Sources, Engineer and Architecture of Renewable Energy Sources, Physics and Chemistry in Preservation of Cultural Heritage. During the conference week there were also exhibitions and presentations of the projects of participants of the international competition "Low Energy Architecture".
The Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation, promoter of the conference offered a cultural program for the participants.
The Organising Committee consisted of specialists from numerous Institutions: Institute of Physics SAS, Bratislava, Slovakia, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University and CREST, Osaka, Japan, Zilina University, Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia, CINVESTAV - IPN, Electrical Engineering Department, México D. F., Mexico, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana de México, Mexico, Faculty of Architecture, Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, ECOVAST - national section Slovakia and many others

Printable version